This is one more rare type of rasam in the sense it is not made regularly.You can even call it a medicinal rasam.It is made in south Indian homes when you have body ache,sore throat and a common cold.In this rasam we fry two different types of herbs Kandathipilli and Arisithipili along with pepper and red chillies and boil in tamarind water.
You will Need
You will Need
- Big marble sized ball of Tamarind
- 3/4tsp of Black Pepper
- 2-4 Red chillies
- One tbs of Channa Dal
- One tsp of Coriander seeds
- One tsp of Cumin seeds
- Few Curry leaves
- Four sticks of Kandathippilli
- Four sticks of Arisithippilli
- Two cups of Tur Dal water
- Salt to Taste
- Ghee for tempering
- Soak Tamarind in hot water for half an hour and extract juice three times and keep aside.
- In a pan heat a tsp of ghee and roast pepper,chillies,coriander seeds and two thippilllis.
- Cool the roasted ingredients and grind it along with cumin seeds and curry leaves in to a smooth paste or powder.
- In a pan heat ghee again and crackle mustard seeds and add tamarind water.
- When the raw smell of the tamarind goes add the ground paste and salt.
- Add some Dal water to subside the spice in the rasam.
- You can make this with garlic also.When you crackle mustard seeds add peeled garlic and fry.
- Allow it to boil along with tamarind water and later add the ground paste.
- In this case you may not add Dal water.You can use one tomato if you like.
- I did use otherwise it would become too medicinal.