Rasam is combined with hot mashed rice and a dash of pure ghee and served like a porridge.Toddlers and old people have rasam rice because it is light and easily digestible.
We make so many different types of Rasam in our house like Paruppu ,Pepper,Jeera,Poondu,Pineapple Vepam poo etc but the most common are tomato and paruppu rasam which is made every other day.I love (everyone would love this)the rasam rice my mother used to make and feed me when I am sick.
You will Need
- One small marble size Tamarind
- 2 tsp Rasam Powder
- 2 Tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- A generous pinch of Asafoetida
- One tsp Ghee
- One tsp Mustard seeds
- Half tsp Cumin seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- One cup Dal Water(1 tbs Tur dhal)
- Boil the Turdhal in the pressure cooker with turmeric powder and a little extra water.
Enjoy the rasam with some hot Rice and ghee with fried Appalam or Pappadam!!!!!
- Sometimes I keep the tomatoes in the cooker along with tur dhal peel the skin,beat it in the mixie and add the puree to the rasam.
- Use Ghee for crackling mustard seeds.ghee gives a good flavour for the rasam.some other oil might change the flavour.
- Add a generous pinch of asafoetida to the rasam it is very flavourful and a good digestive.
- You can even make it without Dal water, if required.