Semiya Upma is a simple and easy breakfast recipe.It tastes so good that it does not require any accompaniment, so it really comes handy when you are short of time.I make this upma for breakfast,though my kids do not enjoy upmas very much they do eat it for my sake!They do enjoy the vermicelli biryani that i make for dinner sometimes.I have used only onions for this upma.You can add tomatoes,finely chopped vegetables like carrot,beans,peas and cauliflower to make it more healthy and colourful.You can chop these vegetables the previous day and store it in the fridge to use it in the morning(to make it easier).Now coming to the recipe.....
You will Need
Enjoy when it is hot!(we enjoy it with a spoon of sugar sprinkled on the upma)
You will Need
- One cup Vermicelli
- One Sliced Onion
- Salt to Taste
- One Green Chilli
- Small piece of Ginger
- One tbs of Oil
- One tsp of Mustard Seeds
- One tsp of Channa Dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- Lemon Juice
- Dry roast the vermicelli until it starts getting slightly brown.(this is to avoid the vermicelli sticking to each other)Remove in a plate and keep aside.
- Slice the onions,chop the ginger and green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds,add channa dal fry until light brown.
- Add sliced onions,ginger,green chilli and the curry leaves.fry until transculent
- Pour two cups of water,allow it to boil and add salt.when it starts boiling add the roasted vermicelli slowly stirring continously.
- allow it to boil.cover and cook for five minutes.
- Cook until all the water evaporates.Drizzle some lemon juice if you prefer.
- If you are using roasted vermicelli skip the first step.
- Add a few roasted cashewnuts in ghee to enhance the taste.
- If you prefer add lemon juice.It tastes good on its own.
- You can also add some more vegetables(finely chopped).