Potato is the most staple vegetable all over the world and South India is not an exception.Potato curry is a special dish and favourite of most of the people especially children.Potato curry is part of any vegetarian festive menu in Tamilnadu.
In my family this potato and onion curry is made on all Sundays along with Onion Sambar and Avial.It used to be our Sunday Feast.I love this menu.I make this potato and onion curry atleast once a week mostly with sambar if not with Avial.Ths curry is so yummy that it can be wrapped in a chapathi for lunchbox or travel.It can be used as a filling for sandwich for a spicy potato grilled sandwich.
You will Need
- 500 gms of Potato
- 350 gms of large Onions
- 2-3 Tbs of Oil
- One Tsp of Mustard Seeds
- One Tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp of Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- Few Curry Leaves
- Chop Onions slightly Lengthwise as shown in the picture.
- Boil Potatoes in pressure cooker for three whistles,cool,peel the skin and cut them in to cubes.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and crackle mustard seeds,add urad dal and when it browns add curry leaves.
- Add chopped Onions and fry till translucent.Add turmeric powder and salt while frying.
- When the onions become slightly brown add the diced potatoes and chilli powder.
- Mix well and fry in medium flame add some more oil to make it more crispy and tasty.
- Now when the curyy gets brown at the bottom turn it around so that all the vegetables get fried well and switch off.
- Use a flat non stick pan for even roasting.
- You can add a little coconut oil for extra flavour.
- You can add tomatoes,ginger,coriander leaves if you prefer.
- You can add garam masala powder and have it with chapathi.
- You can stuff it in the bread and grill to make a sandwich.