I had a lot of Gujarati friends when i was studying in school I used share their lunch boxes and developed a taste for gujrathi food.I learnt a few Gujrathi Recipes from them.There is a little sweetness in all the Gujrathi dishes and i love that sweetness in the food.
Vaghareli Khichdi is a variation of Gujarati Khichdi.This Khichdi is a combination of rice,dal,vegetables and masalas.It is a perfect one pot meal.I make it when i am tired and want to wrap up something really fast.It is very nutritious because it has rice,dal and vegetables and ghee.There is no sweetness in this khichdi but it goes well with gujrathi kadhi which is sweet.
You will Need
- One cup Raw Rice
- 1/4th cup Moong Dal
- 2-3 tbs of Ghee
- One tsp Cumin Seeds
- One small piece of Cinnamon stick
- 3-4 Cloves
- One Red Chilli
- One Onion
- One Tomato
- 1/2 tsp of Ginger and Chilli paste
- One cup Mixed Vegetable
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- Two tbs Chopped Coriander Leaves
- Wash rice and dal together and soak it for half an hour.Chop all the vegetables in to small pieces.
- Heat Ghee in a pan(you can use half oil and half ghee too)crackle cumin seeds,add cloves,cinnamon and torn red chilli.(It gives such a good aroma!!!)
- Add chopped Onion and fry. It does not have to become brown.
- Add Tomato and ginger and chilli paste.
- Add salt,turmeric,chilli and garam masala powder and fry till tomatoes are mushy.
- Add rest of the vegetables and give it a good mix.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice add it and add to the fried vegetables,add enough water and pour it in to the rice cooker.You can cook it in a pressure cooker too.
- After the rice is cooked garnish with Coriander leaves.
Enjoy hot khchidi with Gujarati kadhi.kuchumber and Papad.!!!
- You can use any dal yellow dal,split green gram or even tur dhal.
- You can add or omit any vegetable of your choice.They even add brinjal and cauliflower..
- You can add a little more ghee while serving to get a good taste.
- Add a little more water than you cook normal rice.
- It is eaten with curds and pickle too.
Thanks Uma for linking to my event... looking forward to more recipes from you... and happy to follow you...
Lovely recipe Uma... This is called as Paruppu Sadam in Coimbatore...this looks so yummy and I am hungry already... I also have a food blog and the id is - cookingtastefully.blogspot.in... Please visit and give your comments.
Post a Comment