Broken wheat or Dalia is a healthier alternative to white rice. I remember my grandfather eating it instead of white rice because he was diabetic. It is an alternative to chapathis, coming in handy for South Indians like me ! When we are bored of Chapathis and Subzis this is a good option to make steamed Idlis with Sambar and Chutneys.
You Will Need
You Will Need
- One cup Broken wheat
- 3/4 cup Curd
- Two Green chillies
- Small piece of Ginger
- A tbs chopped Coriander Leaves
- One and half tsp Eno Fruit Salt
- One tbs Oil
- One tbs Channa dal
- One tsp Mustard Seeds
- Few Cashewnuts
- Two tbs Shredded Carrots
- Roast the broken wheat for two to three minutes in medium flame.
- Heat oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds and channa dal.
- Add the broken cashewnuts,chopped green chilli,chopped ginger,shredded carrots and switch off the stove.
- Add curds,Sauteed mixture to the broken wheat.Add chopped coriander leaves
- Mix well and set aside for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes it would become a little thick.
- Grease the steaming plates or idli plates and keep it ready.
- Add a little water and eno fruit salt and give it a mix.
- Pour it in to the greased idli plates immediately.
- Steam it for ten minutes.
- Remove with the sharp spoon and enjoy with any chutney or sambar of your choice.
- you use fruit salt to give the fluffy and soft idlis.
- you can soak urad dal mix with the broken wheat ferment it like normal idli batter and then steam it.In that case you can avoid using fruit salt.