Semiya Kichadi or Vegetable Semiya Upma is a very healthy and easy to prepare South Indian tiffin.You can call it a one pot meal and have it for dinner also.Actually south Indian dishes are easy to prepare and easily digestible and that is what i like about them.Semiya Kichadi is a perfect Lunch box menu too but it is at its best when eaten hot with coconut chutney!!!!
You will Need
You will Need
- One cup Roasted Vermicelli
- One chopped Onion
- One cup Diced Mixed Vegetables
- Two chopped Green chillies
- One small piece of Ginger
- Few Curry Leaves
- One tbs of Oil
- One tsp Mustard Seeds
- One tsp Channa Dal
- One tbs Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds,fry channa dal till golden brown.
- Add chopped onions,green chilli,ginger pieces and curry leaves.
- Add diced vegetables(carrot,beans,peas and potato),turmeric powder and salt.
- Fry for two minutes.
- Add two cups of water and allow it to boil.(if you want to quicken the process add hot water)
- Allow it to boil and let the vegetables get cooked.Add the roasted semiya(vermicelli)and keep stirring with your other hand.
- Mix well and cover and cook for few minutes.
- Cook until all the water evaporates.Check for salt add a little more if required.
- Squeeze some lime juice.
- Keep it covered for few minutes and enjoy when it is still hot.
- To enrich the taste you can add a spoonful of ghee or fry few cashewnuts in ghee and add finally.The crunchy nuts tastes very good with the kichadi.
- You can sprinkle some asafoetida while you are tempering.My mom always used to avoid using asafoetida if she is adding onions in the recipe.So i have not added.
- If the vermicelli is not roasted roast it first in a hot pan and keep it aside and proceed from the tempering step.