Black-eyed Pea or White Karamani ,is a simple yet tasty protein rich Dal or curry.I got exposed to a lot of Dals and Subzis only through my Maharashtrian friend from Singapore, when I used to live there. As a south Indian, I was not Exposed to a lot of North Indian food. For that matter, I learnt to make Phulkas only with the help of my friend. My mother used to make only Karamani Sundal during Navrathri or used to put it in the Karadayan Nombu adai. Here is a tasty recipe of the curry....
You will Need
- One Cup Black eyed Pea
- Three Onions
- Three Tomatoes
- One small Piece of Ginger
- Three to four pods of Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp Chilli powder
- One tsp Garam masala powder
- Two tbs of Oil
- One tsp Cumin Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Two Tbs of Chopped Coriander Leaves
- One small piece of Jaggery
- Soak the dal for about three hours or one and half hours in hot water.Pressure cook with little turmeric powder and salt for three whistles and five minutes
- Make a paste of one tomato,one onion,garlic,ginger and if required one green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle Cumin seeds.
- Fry chopped(remaining two onions chopped)onions till slightly brown.
- Add chopped Tomatoes,salt and turmeric powder and fry till tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the ground paste and fry further.
- Add chilli powder,garam masala powder and jaggery at this stage.
- Add the cooked dal and give it a mash so that everything comes together.Check for salt and add chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy with some hot Phulkas or Rotis!!!
- Adding Jaggery is purely optional.If you do not like the sweetness you need not add.
- If you are making in larger quantities add cumin powder and coriander powder.
- If you are making very less quantity you can avoid the grinding part.It comes together on its own.