Curd Rice or yogurt rice is the most comforting food of south India especially Tamilnadu. You may call it curd rice,bagalabath or yogurt rice but it is basically cooked and mashed rice with yogurt,salt and some seasonings.It is very easy to make and it is very safe and comforting food because of the hot and humid climate in this part of the world.
I am not a big fan of curd rice but my husband is happy with curd rice and pickle.He has a sensitive stomach so i make curd rice for him a lot of times especially when he comes back late from work because it is easily digestible and safe food.
My mother used to make one big bowl of curd rice and serve us with freshly made aavakkai during peak summer.
You will Need
- One cup of Rice
- Half a cup of Milk
- Yogurt or curds as required
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- One tsp Oil
- One tsp of Mustard seeds
- One Green Chili
- One small piece of Ginger
- Few Curry Leaves
- Few Carrots
- Finely chopped Cucumber
- Finely chopped Mango
- Cook rice with 3 cups of water.mash it up when it is hot and add milk.The milk should have been boiled and cooled.
- Heat oil in a small pan crackle mustard seeds,urad dal add finely chopped green chillies and ginger and switch off the stove.Pour over the cooked rice and mix well.
- Mix well and allow it to cool.
- Add some curds,salt,asafoetida and some more milk if required and then the things given under garnishing.
- Mix well and add some chopped coriander leaves
- Do not add hot milk to the hot rice it might spoil the texture of the rice.
- If you are making for parties you can garnish with some grapes and pomegranates
- If you want your rice to be creamy add some butter when you are mashing the rice.
- If you are preparing for travel add lots of milk and just a spoon of curd to avoid sour taste.