It was a special dish in my house my mother used to make it in large quantities during pongal time and used to have it with "Kanu Sadam"the next day morning also.
You will Need
- Half cup Tur dhal
- 100 gms of vegetables of each
- Small gooseberry size Tamarind
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- One tsp of Powdered Jaggery
- One sprig of Curry Leaves
- One tbs of Gingelly Oil
- One tsp Mustard seeds
- A Generous pinch of Asafoetida
To Roast and Grind
- One tsp Channa dal.
- One tbs Coriander seeds
- 6-8 Red Chillies
- Two Tbs of Scraped Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1.Soak the Tamarind in warm or hot water for half an hour.
- You can include more vegetables like Sepankizhangu,raw banana etc.
- You can boil the vegetables in water and then add thick extract of Tamarind also.
- If you do not like the sweetness in the Kootu you can avoid adding the Jaggery.
- Instead of Mochai you can add some Soaked Peanuts in the kozhambu.