This moong dhal sambhar is made as an accompaniment for idlis,dosas and pongal.They make it mostly in the south Indian weddings.I love it when they serve hot idlis and this sambhar is banana leaf.It tastes heavenly!!!That is why my chittappa usually calls it "Kalyana gothsu".It is a little different from the usual sambar.I think it is in between gothsu and sambar.
You will Need
- One cup Moong dhal
- Two cups of Mixed vegetables
- One Onion
- One Tomato
- Few Curry leaves
- One tbp of Oil
- One tsp of Mustard seeds
- One tbs of Tamarind
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- One tsp of powdered Jaggery
- One green chilli (optioanl)
To Dry Roast and Powder
- One tsp of Channa dhal
- Three Red chillies
- Half a tsp of Fenugreek seeds
- One tsp of Coriander seeds
- Boil the dhal in the pressure cooker for two whistles or until mushy.Soak Tamarind in hot water for thirty minutes and extract pulp three times.Chop all the vegetables.(dice them).
- Roast the ingredients given under roast and graind in half tsp of oil and make it into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in pan crackle mustard seeds and fry chopped onions,green chilli and curry leaves.Add tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Add rest of the vegetables and fry for a minute.Add tamarind water salt,turmeric powder and let it boil till vegetables are cooked.
- Once the vegetables get cooked add the powder and some salt if required and some jaggery.
- Add the cooked dal and some water to adjust the consistency.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves.