Green gram dal Sambar is a variation from the regular South Indian sambar which is usually with the Tur Dal.I have come across this recipe but never tried it before.I soaked this dal in the morning to make dal (which i make regularly)but somehow could not make it!!!!I just decided to make a sambar with this soaked dal. Needless to say the benefits of green gram dal it is high fibre,protein rich and easily digestible.It is a simple easy and healthy recipe!!!!!
You will Need
You will Need
- Half cup Green Gram Dal
- Marble sized ball of Tamarind
- Few Sambar Onions or One large Onion
- One Large Tomato
- One tbs of Sambar Powder
- One tsp of Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- One tbs Gingelly oil
- One tsp Mustard seeds
- Few Red chillies
- Half a tsp Fenugreek seeds
- Soak Green gram dal for 3 to 4 hours.Pressure cook for three whistles or until mushy.
- Soak Tamarind in hot water and extract the pulp three times.
- Heat oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds,add red chillies,fenugreek and Asafoetida.
- Add chopped small or big onions and fry for a minute,add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Pour the extracted tamarind water,add sambar powder,salt,jaggery and let it boil until the raw smell goes from the sambar powder and tamarind water.
- Now mash the dal a little and add it to the boiling tamarind water.Let it thicken to get the required consistency and switch of the stove.
- It is slightly thicker than the tur dhal sambar. Enjoy it with some hot rice and vegetable to go with.