I think I am in a phase of making simple,easy,tasty,tangy subzi's these days.It is real hot summer and i am sure all of us want to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen.In the process i came across this subzi called Bombay potato curry or Bombay Bataka Recipe posted by Sia of Monsoon spice.I immediately gave it a try and it was yummy!!!To my surprise it is a no onion and no garlic recipe!!!!
You will Need
You will Need
- Three large Potatoes
- Tomato Puree from Four Tomatoes
- One tbs of Tamarind paste
- One tbs of powdered Jaggery
- Two tbs of Oil
- One tsp of Crushed Ginger
- Two Red chillies
- One tsp Cumin seeds
- Half tsp Turmeric powder
- One tsp Red Chilli powder
- One tsp Coriander powder
- One tsp Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker.Peel the skin and dice them in to blocks.
- Throw four tomatoes in boiling water switch off the stove.Leave for ten minutes,peel the skin and puree it.
- Heat Oil in a pan crackle cumin seeds add tomato puree,turmeric powder and jaggery and boil it in high flame for three minutes.
- Add the Tamarind paste,crushed ginger,chilli powder and pour in two cups of hot water and allow it to boil for ten minutes in medium flame.
- Now add the potatoes,give it a stir and add the garam masala powder.Mash four to five potatoes(pieces) and add it to the subzi so that it thickens a bit.
- Garnish with Corinader leaves and enjoy with any type of Indian bread or Pulao.
- If you are using tamarind instead of paste soak it in hot water for ten minutes and extract the pulp two or three times and keep aside until use.
- Adjust the amount of tamarind,jaggery and spices according to your taste.