Thani Kootu is a very traditional and old recipe.This is usually made at home during sumangali poojai."Thani" means "alone" in Tamil, this kootu is made up of gravy without any vegetable and dal that is why it is called "Thani kootu".During this pooja they make five vegetables with the same gravy.Vegetables like Snake guard,cluster beans,chow chow,brinjal, are boiled and combined with the gravy.It is made during Pongal(sankaranthi)festival too.
You will Need
You will Need
- One Gooseberry size Tamarind
- Same amount of Jaggery
- Scarped coconut from half Coconut
- Two tbs Channa dal
- Two Tbs of Dhania seeds
- Ten Red Chillies
- Salt to taste
- Two tbs Gingelly Oil
- One tsp Mustard seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- One fourth tsp of Asafoetida
- One tbs Channa dal
- Heat one tsp of Gingelly oil and roast channa dal,chillies and dhania seeds.
- When the dal gets brown add the scraped coconut and switch off the stove.
- Cool the ingredients and powder or grind to a coarse mixture.
- Soak Tamarind in hot water for half an hour.Extract a thick pulp three times.
- Heat oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds,add channa dal,curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Add the tamarind water,turmeric powder and salt and boil till the raw smell goes.
- Add the ground powder and powdered jaggery and let it thicken.
Boil any vegetable like i have mentioned in the (first paragraph) with turmeric powder and salt and take a portion of the kootu and mix well.I have made with chow chow!