Aval Kesari is one of the simplest and easiest sweet or kesari.Today being the last friday of Thai masam i wanted to make some sweet so decided to make this instead of payasam.This sweet can be made during gokulashtami because krishna is fond of aval.Also it comes in handy when sudden guests come and when you want to make a traditional sweet in a short time.
You will Need
- One cup Aval or Rice flakes
- One cup Sugar
- One cup water or milk
- Few Raisins
- Few cashew nuts
- Ghee as required
- A pinch of Cardamom powder
- A pinch of Edible camphor
- Wash and soak aval or rice flakes in water for ten minutes.
- Drain the water after ten minutes and keep the poha aside for ten minutes.
- Heat one tbs of ghee and fry the cashewnuts till brown and add raisins and fry till it puffs up.remove and keep in a seperate cup
- In the same pan add one more tbs of ghee and fry the rice flakes till a nice aroma comes.
- Add one cup water or milk and cook the rice flakes till mushy.it has to be cooked till soft before adding the sugar.
- Once it is cooked add one cup sugar and kesari colour powder dissolved in a little water.
- heat until the sugar dissolves and then thickens(stirring in between)
- Once it thickens add cardamom powder,edible camphor,fried cashews and raisins and one more tbs of ghee.mix well and transfer in to a bowl.
- Do not miss any step because it is important the rice flakes are soft before you add sugar otherwise once you add sugar it becomes hard and it will seem as though the rice flakes are not cooked.
- Adjust the sugar,ghee according to your taste and preference.
- Youcan cook the rice flakes in milk or water but it gives a richer taste when you cook it in milk.