Khandvi is a gujarathi snack.The ingredients are similar to Khaman dhokla.I have not eaten as much khandvi as dhokla. Dhokla is a little more healthy and simpler to make.You make khandvi by mixing gram flour with buttermilk,salt and turmeric powder and cooked to a paste and spread on a flat surface and cut into strips and rolled in to pinwheels.It is interesting and tricky to make this one.The paste should be in correct consistency otherwise it will not spread and if it is too watery it will not roll.
You will Need
You will Need
- One cup Gram flour
- One and half cups Buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil to apply
- One tbs of Scraped Coconut
- Few Coriander Leaves
- One tsp Oil
- One tsp Mustard Seeds
- One Green chilli
- Few Curry Leaves
- Sieve the flour to avoid any lumps.Grease plates with oil and keep it ready.Keep a flat spatula ready to spread the mixture.Mix Gram flour,salt,asafoetida and turmeric powder with buttermilk.
- Add the buttermilk slowly and whisk without any lumps
- Heat the mixture in a thick bottomed pan until it gets thick.Keep stirring continuously.It will stick to the botttom so be careful.
- Once it is thick remove from fire.If it becomes too thick it will not spread.
- Place a portion of it on a plate and spread it as thin as possible.Do not waste time, do it immediately.
- Allow it to cool
- Cut in to vertical strips and roll it in to pinwheels.
- stack them in a plate and temper mustard seeds,green chillies and curry leaves and pour over the khandvi rolls.Sprinkle some grated coconut and coriander leaves.Serve with green chutney at tea time.