Erissery is a traditional Kerala Recipe made with a lot of coconut.It can be made with single vegetable like red pumpkin or a combination of vegetables like Raw banana and yam.I have made it with raw banana and yam.
You boil the vegetables with turmeric powder and salt and then mixed with ground coconut and rice and then seasoned with coconut fried in coconut oil.
You will Need
- 250 gms of Yam
- One Raw Banana
- Half a Coconut
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- Salt to Taste
- A tbs of Coconut Oil
- A tsp of Mustard seeds
- One tsp of raw Rice
- One tsp of Pepper
- Peel the skin of raw banana and yam,wash and chop into blocks.
- Boil them with turmeric powder and salt.(water should just immerse the vegetables)
- Powder the pepper and add while vegetables are boiling.
- Grind 3/4 of the coconut and rice into a smooth paste.
- Add to the boiling vegetable,boil further for a minute and switch off.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds.
- Fry the rest of the coconut in that oil till slightly brown and pour it over the vegetables.
- You can use rice powder instead of rice for grinding.otherwise you can soak the rice for half an hour for easy grinding.
- If you are making large quantity you can add few red chillies along with pepper.