Small Onion or shallot sambar is the most favourite and popular sambar in Tamil Homes and restaurants.You can taste this sambar in any small restaurant throughout Tamilnadu.Of course it is made in so many different ways.
My mother was an expert in making this sambar and all of us used to drink it along with our rice and dosas, especially Rawa Dosa.She used to make real big Rawa Dosa like in restaurants.Rawa Dosa with Vengaya sambar and coconut chutney was a heavenly combination.When we eat this sambar with Rice we usually add more vegetables like Radish,Capsicum and Drumsticks.Pan roasted baby potatoes are best combination for this sambar along with hot rice and ghee.
You will require
- 1/3 cup of Tur dhal
- Gooseberry size ball of Tamarind
- 1 cup of peeled small Onions
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil for Seasoning and Roasting
- 1 tsp of Jaggery
- 1/4tsp of Turmeric powder
- Few Curry Leaves
- One tbs of Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbs of Channa dal
- 1 Tbs of Coriander seeds
- 3-4 nos of Red chillies
- 2 Tbs of Scraped coconut
- 1 Tbs of Gingelly oil
- 1 tsp of Mustard seeds
- Wash and pressure cook the tur dhal with turmeric powder.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for half an hour and extract the pulp three times so that it is watery.
- Fry the ingredients for masala in gingelly oil,cool and grind into a paste or powder it.
- Heat oil in a pan crackle mustard seeds add shallots and fry for two minutes.Add the tamarind water,turmeric powder,salt and allow it to boil for few minutes.
- Add the mashed dal and the ground paste or powder and let it boil till it comes together.
- Add jaggery and let it boil for a minute and swith off the stove.
- Garnish with curry and coriander leaves.
- Mix well and enjoy with Idli,dosas or hot rice and ghee with a simple potato fry!!!!!!!
- Adjust the number of chillies in the sambar while roasting and grinding.
- some people use one tsp of raw rice while grinding to thicken the sambar.
- Use of Jaggery is optional.