More Kootu is a coconut and yogurt based gravy with a vegetable.It is an accompaniment to all the south Indian gravies like sambar,vathakozhambu and milagu kozhambu.You can make it with vegetables like white pumpkin(poosanikkai or pooshnikkai),chow chow,cabbage,cauliflower and the most popular banana stem(vazhai thandu).
You will Need
You will Need
- 350 gms of white Pumpkin
- Two green chillies
- Half cup grated Coconut
- Half cup Thick Curd
- One tsp Cumin seeds
- One tsp Tur dhal
- One tsp Coriander seeds
- Ten Cashewnuts
- One red chilli
- Salt to Taste
- One tsp Coconut Oil
- One tsp Mustard seeds
- One tsp Channa dal
- Few Curry Leaves
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- Dice the vegetale in to small squares.
- Soak the turdhal,coriander seeds,cumin seeds,cashewnuts and red chilli in water for half an hour.
- Boil the diced pumpkin in water with salt.
- Grind the soaked ingredients along with scraped coconut and green chilli.
- Remove the excess water in the vegetable. Add the ground paste to the boiled vegetable and heat for a minute.Let it not boil.
- Add the beaten curd.chk for salt and add if required.
- Mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan crackle mustard seeds,add channa dal and fry till golden brown,add curry leaves,asafoetida and pour over the kootu.mix well.
Enjoy as an accompaniment for any south Indian gravy.
- You can use regular oil instead of coconut oil.
- You can replace red chilli with green chilli.
- You can replace cashew nuts with rice or rice flour.
- Cashew nuts gives a rich taste and a binding to the kootu.