Parathas are mainly made in North India with wheat flour.When it travelled to the South, people started making it in Maida or all purpose flour.The Malabar Parotta is famous in Kerala.The speciality of this Oarotta is its layers.It requires lot of patience and hard work to make this one. Let's see how it's done..
You will Need
- One cup of Maida
- Half a tsp of Salt
- Half a tsp of Sugar
- Water to knead
- Oil to knead and cook
Kneading and relaxing are two important steps for this parotta
- Mix flour,salt,sugar and water and knead in to a smooth dough. Knead for five minutes(very important)
- Rest it for half to one hour and knead again. Roll it into small dumplings and again let it rest for ten minutes.
- Apply some oil on the kitchen counter surface and your hands and roll it in to a roti using your hand or a rolling pin.Use some oil to expand.
- Flatten it out to the maximum extent .Sprinkle some flour on top.
- Pull up from one side and start folding it and do not roll it.
Fold it one layer on top of the other.
- Once you finish it start rolling it in to a pinwheel
- Let it rest for half an hour and then roll it again with the rolling pin
- Cook on a hot tawa on both sides with some oil sprinkled on both sides.
- With both your hands push the Parotta from both sides, so that the layers pop out ! That is the speciality of this Parotta.
Enjoy with Vegetable Kurma or any other indian curry!!!!!