Tamarind rice or Puli sadam is one of our favourites.I would prefer pulisadam for coconut rice or lemon rice simply because it is Tangy and spicy making it tastier.Even my kids love it, so it is often a lunch box menu with some vadams or potato chips.I just posted pulikachal recipe last week and I made this Tamarind rice for the kids lunch box!!!!!!
Most of the people make a spice powder with coriander seeds,channa dal red chillies and seasame seeds but my mother used to make a powder only with fenugreek seeds and add it to the pulikachal.We love this version better than the one with spice powder.
- One cup Cooked rice
- Pulikachal(recipe is given in the same blog)
- Salt if required.
- A handfull of Roasted Peanuts
- Few Curry Leaves
- A generous pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly oil.
1.Roast the peanuts and allow it to cool.
- Use of gingelly oil gives a good taste and aroma.
- Adjust the quantity of the rice and pulikachal according to your taste.
- Spread the cooked rice on a plate cool and then mix with the Paste.