Neiayyam is a sweet dumpling with rice flour jaggery,coconut and cardamom powder(sometimes with mashed banana).It is popular in kerela and palakkad.It is made during Karthigai deepam and pillayar chathurthi.However my mother used to make appam with wheat flour,jaggery and banana.I got familiar with kuzhiappam only through my friends.It is healthier because it is not deep fried.
You will Need
You will Need
- One cup Raw Rice
- 3/4 cup Jaggery
- Two pinches of Soda
- Two yellow Bananas
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- Few Tbs of scraped coconut.
- Soak the rice for 3-5 hours or even overnight if you are making in the morning
- Grind it in to a smooth paste.
- whisk the bananas and add it to the ground flour.
- Dissolve the jaggery in hot water and add it to the ground rice,banana,scraped coconut and cardamom powder.
- Bring it to a pouring consistency.
- Heat a kuzhipaniyaram pan and pour one tsp of ghee in each mould.Pour one tbs of the rice flour mixure and cook till it becomes brown on one side.cook in medium flame so that it cooks evenly.
- Flip it to the other side and pour half tsp ghee and cook on both sides.
- Be generous in adding ghee as you are cooking in a iron or aluminium pan.
- Cook in medium flame for even cooking otherwise it will become brown in the outer and not get cooked in the inside.
- Adding coconut,soda and banana helps in getting a spongy appams.
- If the batter becomes too watery while adding jaggery water add a little wheat flour or rice flour.