Oats Pongal is a savoury version of oats porridge cooked to suit Indian taste buds especially south Indian.It is same like our rice pongal in which we use oats instead of rice to make it more healthy.It is not only healthy it is very easy and fast to cook.Those who eat oats for breakfast regularly can try this one for a variety and a different taste.
You will Need
You will Need
- 3/4 cup Oats
- 1/4 cup Moong dal
- One Green Chilli
- Small piece of Ginger
- 1/tsp of Pepper
- One tsp of Cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Few Curry Leaves
- Oil or ghee
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- Cook the moong dal in the pressure cooker for two ot three whisltels with turmeric powder.Crush cumin and pepper to a coarse powder.
- Chop Green chilli and ginger in to small pieces.Heat Oil or ghee in a pan add the chopped chilli and ginger.Add the oats and roast if for one minute.
- Add two cups water to this and allow it to boil.let the oats get cooked.Add salt and curry leaves.
- Add the cooked moong dal.check for salt.add crushed cumin, pepper powder and a tsp of ghee if you prefer.when it reaches the porridge consistency switch off and transfer to a serving bowl.Preferably eat when it is hot or warm.
- You can have it with any type of chutney or sambar,gothsu.Actually it tasted great on its own.
- Add asafoetida if you prefer.
- Add some fried cashew nuts if you want the crunchy taste.