Thiruvadirai is celebrated when Thiruvadirai star(nakshatram) and full moon coincide in the month of Marghazi,we celebrate in favour of lord shiva.All the Sivan temples allover the world celebrate this auspicious occassion with special Abhishekam,puja to Lord Natraja .
On this festival day our houses are cleaned and decorated with kolam,"Maa-ilai Thoranams and Flowers Thoranams.
A delicious sweet known as "Thiruvadirai Kali" is prepared in all our families.This specially made Thirvadirai -Kali is made with Thiruvadirai Kootu with seven vegetables.These two dishes are prepared early in the morning and offered as neivedhyam in a banana leaf along with Betel leaves,Betel nuts and bananas and distributed to everyone in the family.
- One cup of Raw Rice
- One tbs of yellow dhal
- One cup powdered Jaggery
- Two tbs of Cashews and Raisins
- Four tbs of Fresh scraped Coconut
- A pinch of Cardamom powder
- A pinch of Edible camphor
- Dry roast rice and dhal in a thick pan till light brown and keep aside.It takes about 7-8minutes in medium flame.
- Cool the rice and dhal,Put it into dry mixer and make in to a coarse powder.
- In the same pan heat some ghee fry cahews and raisins in ghee and keep aside.
- Dissolve the jaagery in 31/2(this measurement is proportionate to the rice) cups of boiling water(filter it for impurities)
- Add rice brokens transfer in to vessel and a cook it in the pressure cooker for three whistles and five minutes on slow fire.You can cook it in a thick bottomed kadai or vessel also.add the rice brokens to the jaggery water mix well and close it and keep it and allow it to cook in slow fire for ten to fifteen minutes stirring in between.I did it in the pressure cooker.
- Take it out cool it and add the cashews and raisins and scraped coconut,cardamom and camphor powder.if it is too lumpy break it into small pieces with a laddle.